Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Unmissed Connections

You: I saw you out on that crowded news aggregator I frequent on wednesdays during my lunch hour.  You were hauling down so many clicks that I couldn't work up the courage to ask you over to my blog.  Me: the swart fellow in the cardboard box, with the lame rounders 3 default template and faux hip 8-bit references.  Now I'm kicking myself for not working up the courage to ask you your html address.  I was thinking that you might want to give me another chance to make a first impression, maybe I can take you out to meat bun?  
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord knows I listen to too many damn videogames podcasts as it is.  But while there are plenty of good ones, all of them hew to the same basic format:  they're sports talk for nerds.  A bunch of dudes gather 'round and jaw for a while.  It's fantastic when you get the right mix of personalities.  But former GFW Radio contributor Robert Ashley is doing something new with his show A Life Well Wasted.  He's switched up the basic template by interweaving interview segments with original music and a mellifluous voiceover. 

Speaking of people doing something new and original related to the video games, Duncan Fyfe has been crafting an idiosyncratic approach to games writing on his blog Hit Self-Destruct.  It's less a blog than a collection of essays whose approach wavers between fiction and non-fiction.  He's been posting a series of pieces called "Domestic City" on the blog over the last few weeks and they're my favorite thing he's written so far.  They begin here.  Read them, for god's sake.

Oh, and then there's this:  


Good night and good luck

5 comments:

Mitch Krpata said...

The "Domestic City" series is incredible. I've refrained from commenting on it directly because I'm afraid I will dirty it.

Iroquois Pliskin said...

@mkrpata: yes. I fear that if I gaze directly upon Domestic City I will sully it.

Anonymous said...

I've got ALLW's second episode sitting on my iPod waiting to be listened to, and if it's even close to being as impressive as the first then I'll be thrilled. It's been interesting to see what all the 1UPers have gone on to do since losing their jobs; so many are just producing the same stuff they did at 1UP, but Robert Ashley's been brave enough to try something different, and I'm so glad that he has.

Nels Anderson said...

I like how the Domestic City series is what Duncan does while "on a break." Ye gods, if I could do something like that when I'm at the top of my writing game, I'd be elated.

Unknown said...

obat kencing nanah atau gonore obat kutil obat-wasir-untuk-ibu-hamil obat kutil di kelamin wanita